Monday, 23 March 2009

Credit crunch shopping

Feeling a bit depressed this week about the state of the economy and lack of job opportunities around. I have discovered a new way of shopping - it isn't entirely guilt free but it does help save the pennies. I had some items to return to M&S and Debenhams and decided that the Trafford Centre would do nicely as it has both stores. So off I went using a new route (through Eccles)which was not only easier than the motorway but used less petrol. So I headed to M&S to return a number of items one of which was a matching silk bra and knicker set - (pictured left) which had been a resonable £20 at the time but I didnt really like the colour . I was really shocked when the assistant informed me that they had now been reduced to £2 each!! How can that be possible - for silk?? So I decided to hang on to them after all!! Anyway after returning some other items (some tops). I was £50 up on the old credit card so that felt good and I resisted the urge to buy more items - to be honest nothing caught my eye so I moved on to Debenhams where I returned a dress that was too big so I was in credit again by another £30. I had a quick browse and saw some nice dresses in Wallis and Julian McDonalds Star range which Kate and I love but because she wasnt there to egg me on I resisted.


I was feeling rather hungry by now so I decided to get a bite to eat - now normally when I shop with either Bob or Kate (but especially Bob) we usually eat at Ego as a treat. As I was on my own I couldn't really go there so I had a Happy meal for £1.99! which was alot cheaper than our usual £30 bill!! So I figured that I was about £100 in credit on our usual shopping trip - not including Kates usual splurge on clothes etc. Feeling better about the whole thing I allowed myself to wander in to "Guess" where I found the perfect dress for Saturday's meal and late night dancing- in a lovely shade of blue just the thing to cheer a girl up and a bargain at £20 so given all the money I had saved today I figured I deserved it as a reward- sounds like an extract from "Diary of a Shopaholic" I loved the clip when her friend is horrified that she spent £500 on lingerie and she replied that it was not just a necessity but a human right!

2 comments:

  1. Mrs Kate, out of one hundred people surveyed, 90% wanted to snog you in that dress, 10% to marry, none to avoid. :)(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Di thats made my day !- thanks sweetie x

    ReplyDelete