
The recent acquisition of flashy new digital bathroom scales - all glass and stainless steel have led to several life style changes in our household. The unwavering accuracy delivered by them has been quite unnerving for us ...how can ones weight vary by as much as 5oz during the course of the day.??!!
According to the old faithful scales with the reassuring old fashioned needle and clock like gauge my weight never changed that much over the course of the last 10 years or more.
The new flashy scales have become the best friend of my other half - whose recent health kick which has resulted in a dramatic weight loss which is confirmed on a daily basis to provide motivation and praise.
However my own relationship with the new scales is rather different -in the past I was lucky enough to never have weight issues in fact my weight never differed by so much as an ounce. Over recent months my metabolism seems to have slowed down so despite my best efforts with power walking and trying to keep fit my weight seems to yo-yo. I have been trying to avoid them but they sit there on the bathroom floor all shiny and tempting - daring me to step-on - like a game of Russian roulette....Sometimes the old fashioned way is the best.

I found that by throwing the scales out of the window, they soon came to terms with telling you what you wanted to hear
ReplyDeleteEmma
How can one's weight vary by as much by as much as 5oz during the day? Easy! Weigh yourself with a full bladder, then again immediately following a pee. It may surprise you. Weight can fluctuate several pounds throughout the week, just from retention of fluids, that's why daily weigh-ins are often a source of needless distress. Weigh yourself just once or twice a week, then average those weights at the end of the month. You really don't even need a scale. You can let your clothes be the judge. I know which hole I usually use to secure my belt. When using that hole makes my belt fit tight, I know it's time to cut back on the calories and spend a few more hours a week on my bike.
ReplyDeleteCongrats to your other half, for the significant weight loss!
Melissa
Thanks for the comments girls I have to agree with Melissa about the clothes method but the scales sort of mesmerise you to step on them!
ReplyDeleteEmma ... although tempting they are far too nice to throw out!!