
In order to win the on-going battle with new scales I decided to commit to Salsa Classes. The teacher was a latino jerk who did not even so much as ask our names and made the admirers in Naps look like gentlemen. He started off by counting us in at 123- 567 (what happened to 4 and 8? and told us to follow his steps without mentioning that we were supposed to reverse them as we were dancing the female version/ to his male version. He kept rabbiting on about the man taking control and being in charge of the timing which was a bit of a joke as there was only 1 guy in the class to 8 ladies.
Fortunately for me I had done a bit of Salsa dancing in the past and reckoned it would be like riding a bike although this class was more like getting on a racing bike rather than a push-bike. I was just about able to keep up with the Cuban backs, meringues and basic salsa turns - but then he decided to throw in a copa which is a more advanced step involving dizzying triple turns - only one girl could do and it turned out she had been having lessons for 6 months!)- When one of the group missed a turn he stood on her foot!!
At break time I fought of the impulse to run out and joined the other girls at the bar for a cooling cola (I was tempted to add a Bacardi to it -but was driving home). Chatting to some of the girls who had been going to classes since September it turned out he wasn't the usual teacher as they had gone on holiday - Thank goodness I thought - now I can stand on his foot - I just wish I had worn my stilleto heels and eaten some garlic before hand!!!

No comments:
Post a Comment