Monday, 13 July 2009

Sparkle 2009 Part 1- Friday Afternoon....... Friends old and new

Having decided to drive into town this year - rather than take the train like we did last year -allowing the luxury of extra dresses and shoes we packed our cases and drove into Manchester in record time - having had a charmed journey during which the traffic was light and the traffic lights were mostly in our favour.

We checked into our apartment which was huge and as requested in a quiet spot away from the traffic noise at the front of the building. Within 30 mins Kate was ready to meet her public and we made our way in the sunshine up to the Rembrant to meet Diana at the Welcome Party. We bumped into Anna and Jane M outside who looked gorgeous in white jeans and a summery top and after a brief chat we made our way upstairs.

The room was nicely decked out and the atmosphere was nice and relaxed. We chatted to Karina who we had met last year and her friend Michelle who I got along very well with especially when I found out that she (amongst many other things) was a Salsa dance teacher - so we arranged to meet up later for a dancing session.

I loved her attitude to life when she informed us she would be playing volleyball on the Saturday morning in a tankini I told her she was very brave but she just said "you've only got one life so just enjoy it -why worry what other people think you just never know what's around the corner". This really struck a chord with me as so much has happened since our first tentative steps at last years Sparkle when we met up with Lisa and Karen for the first time and they have become very good friends over the course of the year- but life has thrown alot at them in various different ways and for various reasons they were unable to join us this time.

I was always aware that things wouldn't or couldn't last - in the same way that we experienced during that mad but wonderful 'turbo tranny ' year that saw us out almost every week and sometimes twice aweek or more! I feel so lucky and blessed to have shared so many special times together and they will always be very special to me. ....I just hope life will treat them kindly in the future.

After several drinks with Di who looked amazing in her black jeans and black 'Rock Chic' t-shirt we returned to our apartment to change and get ready for the evening meal and entertainment.
More to follow soon in Part 2 dear reader.........watch this space but for now I am off to make tea now and attend to the mundane things in life !

No comments:

Post a Comment