
Our good friend Karen visited the fair city of Manchester last week and Kate and I spent an enjoyable evening with her in a lovely Italian restaurant and suitably refuelled headed for a late night clubbing as we often do.......thinking nothing of it as it is the norm for us now...........
A couple of days later Di had offered to guide us around her home city of Liverpool as it has been a long time since we had ventured in that direction we travelled in by train blending in well amongst the racegoers headed to Aintree in their finery ( or should that be skimpery as alot of the ladies were only wearing dresses on a chilly spring day).
Things started off well and we walked past the lovely old buildings including St Georges Hall the venue for the famous April Ashley talk. We then headed to the Met Centre as Karen wanted some items from Mac and feeling peckish had a delightful coffee and brunch in the Cafe Rouge. We then ambled past the Cavern and headed for the new 'One' centre which is very heavily advertised on local tv and radio and seems to be Liverpools answer to the Trafford Centre. Both Di and Karen wanted to get a new outfit for Saturdays dancing event so we headed to the new Debenhams and came across some lovely dresses in the Star collection one of which I encouraged Karen to try on as it was just her colour and style .
Unfortunately I got side tracked by another dress and whilst I was looking for the correct size Karen came back and told us that a security guard has stopped her from using the changing room. We were all quite shocked especially given that the changing rooms were not marked as being specifically either male or female. We then realised that we must have been picked up the security cameras as entered the store as Karen had not spoken to the assistant manning the changing room at this point. To say we felt uncomfortable and upset would be accurate - Karen did challenge the guard about the stores policy toward transgendered people as he had no way of knowing if this was the case- I think he just muttered something about writing to head office. We turned tail and walked out of the store and tried not to let it bother us - but I could see that people were looking at us - we ventured into Jane Norman but our hearts were not in it then as the experience had shaken us.
We decided that shopping was cancelled so we did the tourist route down to the new canal and the hideous new buildings that some bright spark has slapped right in front of the magnificent Liver Buidings. In need of a drink we ventured into a 'Lesbian' Bar which Di knew about (dont ask) which was a cosy haven away from the madness outside.
We were glad to get on the train and head back for Manchester - Two cities a few miles apart in distance but light years apart in attitudes and enlightenment. If Liverpool wishes to progress and become the popular shopping venue it seeks to be it needs to educate its stores and staff in such issues!
The story dear reader does have a happy ending as it turns out Karen and Di did buy their outfits (or should that be ball gowns) in the House of Fraser Store in Manchester where they were treated like royalty and positively encouraged to try on the garments. They also acquired beautiful shoes and jewellery and were able to attend the Dancing event ...despite their ugly step sisters Liver and Pool trying to stop them going but their fairy godmother named Manchester waved her magic wand and made it happen and they each met a handsome prince who swept them off their feet and transported them away to a far away land of eternal sunshine and shopping. (Yes its only fiction they actually had to kiss an ugly frog in Naps first!).

I do sympathise with Karen regarding the incident but that is not the fault of every shop in the city. In fact this could & does happen in any city and I suspect Manchester too if you come across the wrong person. May be Karen needs to take it up with Debenhams in the circumstances? As for Liverpool One being our answer to the Trafford Centre - it has never been protrayed as that!
ReplyDeleteReally sorry Mrs Kate but Liverpool is really a friendly city and clearly there were no other problems that day, so why knock it over one unfortunate incident?
I'm happy that the girls got the dresses they were seeking and things ended happily. See you around. A proud Scouser! K.D.
Sorry to say that I completely agree with you Mrs Kate, and that coming from a born and bred 'scouser' who still lives in this little backwater.
ReplyDeleteSorry, I was completely shocked and taken aback by this turn of events, in what used to be my favourite shop.
(I believe the actual circumstances were somewhat worse than you have described but are probably confined to Liverpool 1's over the top security. I wouldn't bet on though).
Point of order, the Lisbon is classed as 'mixed' these days I believe!
kate you and diana told me about this they are so out of order.when you use changing rooms it is all in cubicles anyway.(so whats the issues with that ?)i really do hope that this is a one off incident where the "mugabe" style security have gone over the top.
ReplyDeletei have been to liverpool one and to be honest i didnt like it.i prefer the old fashioned city centres.i did notice the place was crawling with security though.
.
kay,manchester dose seem more Open minded to girls like us,thats just my opinion though
Hi
ReplyDeleteLiverpool is a city I have always liked and I felt very sad that this happened there. I hope it is not the norm. The place does seem to be crawling with security. I haven't ever had a problem shopping in Manchester. It will be interesting if I get a reply from the store in question.
Don't get me wrong I'm not knocking Liverpool, but for the time being it does leave a question about that shopping centre in my mind. Whether I go back depends on their reply. I sincerely hope it is positive, because it was one city I was looking forward to getting out in again.
I wholly agree that the incident should be taken up with the organisation concerned & that includes the security but all I'm suggesting don't tar everyone with the same brush please.
ReplyDeleteWe girls have that problem already with Joe Public given their sometimes usual stereotypical views of TGirls etc, so we should know better than to do the same to others. Given my recent bad experience I have more than reason to knock my city but I dont as I know there is still good people around the city. Hopefully you will understand the point I'm making?
In the meantime, I'm pleased that Karen is taking the matter up and hopefully first there is a response and a positive one too?
Hugs to all.xxxx
Hi KD I can assure you that the opinions expressed are not intended to be biased - as you know we are equally located between both city centres. I was looking forward to having a delightful new place to shop - but unfortunately this did not prove to be the case .
ReplyDelete